These Classes Concluded with Class 7 on Sunday, November 12, 2017
VIDEO FILES of LIVE STREAMED classes are on FACEBOOK
Geshe Thupten Palsang's Malaysian students live streamed these teachings with Tibetan & English audio - on Geshe Palsang's FACEBOOK page created by his students:
Search for Thupten Palsang on Facebook.
DOWNLOAD AUDIO & TEXT FILES
Download a PDF of the text here: the Tale of a Wish-Fulfilling Dream or the Dream Tale.
Track 1 - Geshe Thupten Palsang introduces the text and its purpose, which is to provide support for our efforts to Generate Love & Compassion for all Sentient Beings per the Mahayana Vehicle of Buddhism.
Track 2 - Arya Nagarjuna explains the purpose of the Tale of a Wish-Fulfilling Dream [Dream Tale] -- to teach us methods/reasonings we can use to generate Loving Compassion for all sentient beings -- in Verse 1.
Arya Nagarjuna presents five methods or reasonings to use in Verses 2-6. Geshe Palsang explains the reasoning method set out in Verse 2:
Track 1 - Geshe Thupten Palsang elaborates Arya Nagarjuna’s Second and and Third Reasoning methods for generating Love and Compassion for all sentient beings in Verse 3 & Verse 4 of the Dream Tale:
Track 2 - Geshe Palsang presents Arya Nagarjuna’s Fourth Reasoning method for generating Love and Compassion for all sentient beings in Verse 5:
As he worked hard for the sake
Of these [sentient beings] for a very long time;
That too makes me fond of sentient beings.
Geshe Palsang responds to students' questions.
Track 1 - Geshe Thupten Palsang introduces Arya Nagarjuna’s Fifth Reasoning method for generating Love and Compassion for all sentient beings in Verse 5 of the Dream Tale:
- Law Cause & Effect vis-à-vis Law of Karma
- Law of Karma and Concomitant Karmic Results
- Understand Operation of Karma as primary results of virtuous, non-virtuous and neutral actions are Experiences of Feelings;
- "Origin" of our Mental Consciousness;
- Characteristics of our Mental-Emotional Experiences;
- Mind/Body relationship;
- How can results of activities of one life be experienced in the next life.
Geshe Palsang responds to a heartfelt and important question.
Track 1 - Geshe Thupten Palsang Introduction - Operation of Karma, cont., the Power of the Mind/Clairvoyance, Bardo & Rebirth, Prophecies.
Track 2 - Geshe Thupten Palsang presents Dream Tale text:
Verses 7-9 - Negative Karmic Effects Result from Harming Sentient Beings.
- Verses 10-11 - Positive Karmic Effects Result from Benefiting [& Not Harming] Sentient Beings.
Being esteemed, attractive, and having wealth;
Those come through never maltreating
Pleasant or unpleasant sentient beings.
(11) Being free of disease, of an excellent caste,
Handsome, rich, powerful and having a long life,
Wealth, and so on, and a special spouse
Are the result of benefitting sentient beings.
- Verses 11-13 - Positive Karmic Effects Result from Benefiting Sentient Beings.
One will attain kingdoms, great kingdoms,
Perfect kingdoms of the sublime wheel-turner,
And the dominions of power.
(13) Through benefitting sentient beings,
One also attains the state of a Buddha.
What is so marvelous about someone attaining
The insignificant state of an inferior celestial being?
Track 1 - Self-Cherishing is Root of All our Harmful Karmic Acts against Others, which Ripen as our own Suffering:
- Developing Mind that Cherishes Others Will Benefit Us in Our Daily Life Right Now.
- How Conjoining Daily Work with Compassionate Motivation to Benefit Others Produces Happiness
- Self-Cherishing’s Resentments Lead Us to Destroying our own Chances for Happiness
- Enhancing One’s Feeling of Closeness to All Sentient Beings Frees Us from Self-Cherishing’s Prison of Narrow-mindedness.
- Benefits of Focusing on Sentient Beings while Practicing the Six Paramitas
- Value of Practicing Each of the Six Paramitas
With whom could one be generous?
If living beings did not exist, on what basis
Could one achieve the morality of the Vinaya?
Track 3 - Verse 15. Without Beings [e.g., those Who Harm Us], We can’t Develop the Perfection of Patience:
For the sake of whom does he diligently work
To achieve his deeply desired object of attainment?
Generating Generating Six Types of Clairvoyance
Verse 16. Without sentient beings, we cannot generate Love, Compassion, Joy, Equanimity & the Bliss of Meditative Absorption
Verse 17. Without sentient beings of varied types, interests and past life imprints, we cannot develop the Perfection of Wisdom.
Verse 18. Regard all beings as our Gurus as they are the cause for our Enlightenment
Questions & Answers
Track 1 - How to Practice the 1st-3rd Paramitas of Method, verses 19-22:
- Verse 21 - Practicing the Perfection of Morality.
My parents, and also my
Children and spouses;
Whereas sentient beings should not be harmed.
Track 1 - Disadvantages of Not Practicing Method Aspect of Mahayana Path per Nagarjuna’s Dream Tale Instructions - verses 26-28:
Track 2 - Qualities attained through Practicing per Nagarjuna’s Dream Tale Instructions - verses 29-32:
Track 3 - No Shortcut/Quicker Route to the Qualities of Full Enlightenment: