The Tracks are divided to ease both downloading and listening.
Track 1 - Why are we Stuck in Cyclic Existence?
“Those whose minds are attached to cyclic existence will continue to wander there constantly.”
- Operation of Attachment and Grasping (Links of Dependent Origination) at time of Death.
- Karma: Projecting (Throwing) & Completing; Contaminated & Uncontaminated.
Track 2 - Review Topics of Monday Class, April 26:
- Maitreya Gave Five Texts to Asanga.
- Sources/Subject of the Ornament for Clear Realizations.
- Sanskrit treatises’ Explanatory Methodology of Five Limbs.
- Limb of Purpose verses of the Ornament for Clear Realizations:
The path of the exalted knower of all aspects, the Omniscient Mind, which is Explained by the Teacher, the Buddha, in these Mothers (the Perfection of Wisdom sutras), Is not experienced by others."I read it a bit fast but if you get the recording and transcript, . . . you can read again what I’ve just said. Basically, the Purpose of the Ornament is [to help students] to easily understand the path that leads to omniscience, which path includes all of the Eight Clear Realizations, the main topic of the Ornament — the Eight Clear Realizations are all the Paths to Omniscience."
In order for the intelligent to behold the meaning of the Sutra, which is The entity of (or explains) the ten Dharma practices (the Ten Topics that illustrate the Omniscient Mind), through establishing mindfulness [on them], cultivating the so-called 'easy realization' is the purpose of [my] composing [the Ornament].
[In this revised translation, the bold font is the original text.]
- 21 Indian Commentaries on the Ornament for Clear Realizations.
- Titles of Sanskrit-Tibetan treatises:
- Haribhadra’s Clarifying the Meaning.
- Meaning of Abhisamayalamkara (Ornament for Clear Realizations.
- Four Ornaments.
- Meaning of ‘Treatise’.
- How text is Structured: Outlines (by Gyeltsab Je); Root Text (Ornament text); Commentary (Haribhadra’s text); Explanation (Gyeltsab Je’s text is interpolated into Haribhadra’s).
- Haribhadra’s Verse [see Fn 2] is a Homage,Promise of Composition & Limb of Purpose.
- Purpose Relationship Passage - Four Properties of a Treatise
- Four Properties of Haribhadra’s Clear Meaning commentary
- Four Properties: Subject Matter, Purpose, Essential Purpose, Relationship.
- Four Properties of Haribhadra’s Stanza reveal 4 Properties of the Clear Meaning.
- Value of ‘Debate’ – Discuss!
- Gyeltsab Je’s explanation of Qualities of Haribhadra’s Homage
- Refuge –Actual meanings of Refuge & the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha Jewels
[Fn 1] Maitreya's verse from Ornament for Clear Realizations - Abdhisamayalamkara:
The path of the exalted knower of all aspects itself,
Explained by the Teacher in these [mothers],
Is not experienced by others.
The entity of the ten Dharma practices
The Sutras, through establishing mindfulness [on them],
In order for the intelligent to behold their meaning,
The so-called 'easy realization'
Is the purpose of [my] composing [the Ornament].
[Fn 2] COMMENTARY (by Haribhadra):
To the perfection of wisdom
Respectfully I pay homage
In order to thoroughly reveal its versified Ornament
As serving as an ornament of all.