You can download PDF's of Class Handout and Notes as well as MP3 Tracks of this class below. The Class Notes are very rough DRAFT offered for 'what they're worth' to aid students of the course. The MP3 Tracks are divided to ease both downloading and listening.
2011 Handout 1 - Perfection of Wisdom
Very ROUGH DRAFT of CLASS NOTES
DOWNLOAD MP3 Tracks:
Track 1 - Advice re: Study of Buddhist Philosophy.
Buddha's advice to be applied in the study & practice of the Tibetan / Nalanda Tradition of Buddhism:
- Hearing, Contemplating & Meditation - Three Steps of Buddhist Practice
- Study is for Practice - not for intellectual 'mind games'
Extensive Study is Extremely Important:
Precious Human Rebirth – Right here in Dharamasala
What does Extensive Study mean? Learning / Practices the Buddhist Paths
Track 2 - What is a Path?
- Practice What You Study.
- Reasons – False or Correct – guide all our emotions and actions.
- Nothing is more difficult to accomplish than Changing the Mind -
- Buddhist Goals are Not Achieved in just One Life Time.
- Study provides practitioners self-sufficiency – meaningful Reliance on the Lama.
- As Era of Degeneracy of Buddha Dharma Deepens – Buddhist practitioners have increasing personal responsibility for its contemporary preservation.
- Monastic Curriculum studies Five Great Canonical Texts:
- Prajnaparamita - Skt. = Perfection of Wisdom = ཤེས་རབ་ཀྱི་པ་རོལ་དུ་ཕྱིན་པ་ - abbrv. - ཕར་ཕྱིན་ Phar Chin. Studies the Implicit meaning of the Perfection of Wisdom Sutra, i.e., study of the different meditational paths that lead to Enlightenment.
- Madhyamika - Skt. = Middle Way = དབུ་མ་ - Uma. Explicit meaning of the Perfection of Wisdom Sutras, study of the Middle Way - Emptiness.
- Pramanavartica - Skt. = Epistemology = ཚད་མ་རྣམ་འགྲེལ། - Tshe ma nam drel = Commentary on Valid Cognition. Study of logic.
- Abidharma - Skt. = Phenomenology = ཆོས་མངོན་པ་མཛོད། - choe ngoen pa Dzoe = Treasury of Higher Knowledge.
- Vinaya - Skt. = Discipline = འདུལ་བ། - duel wa. Study of monastic discipline.
- Three Turnings of the Wheel of Dharma
- Track 4 -
- Perfection of Wisdom Sutras:
- Implicit & Explicit Meanings
- as taught Tibetan Monastic Curriculum
- Ornament for Clear Realizations by Maitreya - is key to understanding the Perfection of Wisdom Sutras.
- Track 5 - Q & A.