DOWNLOAD Handouts used in Class 2 & Class NOTES (i.e., very rough transcript):
2011 Handout 2 - Six categories of Feelings. Three-fold Division of Suffering: Suffering of Suffering; Suffering of Change; Pervasive Compositional Suffering (cont. Handout 3).
2011 Handout 3 - cont. Pervasive Compositional Suffering: Contaminated Five Aggregates. Four-fold & Eight-fold Categorization of Sufferings of Suffering: Five types of Sufferings of Birth (cont. on Handout 4).
Class 2 NOTES - rough draft transcript - offered for what they are worth. (If you are interested in assisting in proofing/editing, contact Ven. Tenzin Nordron.)
ALL FALL 2011 HANDOUTS & CHARTS are HERE.
DOWNLOAD MP3 TRACKS:
Track 1 -"Has"/"Is" confusion - "Is a white horse white?"
Review: Feeling, an omni-present Mental Factor accompanying every main mind:
- Feeling itself is suffering & feeling experiences suffering.
- Feeling is what experiences the three – pleasure, displeasure or neutrality.
- Objects are not suffering; objects cause suffering and are in the nature of suffering.
- Distinguishing the Truth of Suffering from Suffering (i.e., feeling).
- Suffering is Feeling.
- Truth of Suffering is Feeling and phenomena that induce Suffering, i.e., are in the nature of suffering.
- Root Cause of the Truth of Suffering.
Suffering of Suffering - སྡུག་བསྔལ་གྱི་སྡུག་བསྔལ།:
- Suffering here means any unpleasant feeling.
- Physical Suffering - Mental Factor of feeling (of displeasure) that comes along with any of the Sense Consciousness.
- Contaminated feelings are produced by the fundamental mis-perception of reality.
- Contaminated (ཟག་ཅས་) Objects are Not in the Nature of Happiness.
- Main Minds & Five Omnipresent Mental Factors (སེམས་བྱུང་ལྔ་) & ‘objects of pleasant feelings’
- Happiness of sentient beings is just the temporary relief from feelings of intense suffering.
- Focusing on the nature of the objects that are related to suffering.
- Objects of temporary happiness, i.e., ordinary suffering, are in the nature of suffering because eventually, as they continue being the object of experience, they turn into the nature of suffering.
- The most important of the three categories of Suffering;
- Foundation of the other two (the Sufferings of Suffering and of Change);
- Subtlest and most difficult to recognize.
- Desire Realm, Form Realm and Formless Realms.
- Five (Contaminated) Aggregates: What they are.
- Contaminated because produced by Ignorance mis-perceiving reality, other Delusions (e.g.,anger, attachment), and Karma.
- Pervasive Compositional Suffering of the Five Aggregates includes the entire psycho-physical (mind/body) complex that accompany Feelings.
- Why is it Pervasive.
- Questions & Answers (e.g., Buddha Nature and contamination).
This is the 2nd class of the Fall 2011 Perfection of Wisdom course
addressing the Four Noble Truths, the 2nd sub-topic of the 2nd Topic
(Mahayana Practice Instructions) of Chapter 1 of Maitreya's
Ornament for Clear Realizations - Abhisamayalamkara.