DOWNLOAD Handouts used in Class 3:
2011 Handout 3 - cont. Pervasive Compositional Suffering: Contaminated Five Aggregates. Four-fold & Eight-fold Categorization of Sufferings of Suffering: Five types of Sufferings of Birth (cont. on Handout 4).
2011 Handout 4 - Eight-fold Categorization of Suffering, cont.: Sufferings of Aging. Five Sufferings of Sickness - 1) Changes the nature of the body; (cont. on Handout 5).
ALL FALL 2011 HANDOUTS & CHARTS are HERE.
DOWNLOAD MP3 TRACKS:
Track 1 - Review Three Kinds of Sufferings (Suffering, Change, Pervasive Compositional).
- Q&A (Is Ignorance arisen from Neutral Feeling?).
- Handout 3: Contaminated and Uncontaminated Karma.
- Four Types - (1) Birth, (2) Aging, (3) Sickness, (4) Death - incorporated into
- Eight Types: (5) Encountering what is Unpleasant, (6) Separation from what is Pleasant, (7) Not Getting What we Want, (8) (having) the Five Aggregates.
- How do these 8 fit into the Three Types of Suffering?
- Introduction to 1st of the 8: Birth.
- Birth, itself, is Suffering.
- Birth with Negative Tendencies produces Suffering.
- Born with Negative Tendencies, cont.
- What are "Seeds and Imprints".
- Birth is Source of suffering.
- Birth is Source of Afflictive Emotions:
- Operation of Afflictive Emotions.
- Birth Results in Unwanted Separation, cont. in Track 5.
- Handsome body deteriorates.
- Physical strength and vigour deteriorate.
- Senses deteriorate.
- Enjoyment of sense objects fades.
- Suffering of the diminishment of one's lifespan.
This is the 3rd class of the Fall 2011 Perfection of Wisdom course
addressing the Four Noble Truths, the 2nd sub-topic of the 2nd Topic
(Mahayana Practice Instructions) of Chapter 1 of Maitreya's
Ornament for Clear Realizations - Abhisamayalamkara.