DOWNLOAD Handouts used in Class 4 & Class NOTES (i.e., very rough transcript):
2011 Handout 4 - Eight-fold Categorization of Suffering, cont.: Sufferings of Aging. Five Sufferings of Sickness - 1) Changes the nature of the body; (cont. on Handout 5).
2011 Handout 5 - Five Sufferings of Sickness, cont. 2-5. Five Contemplations of the Sufferings of Death. Five Contemplations of the Sufferings of Encountering what is Unpleasant - 1-2, cont. on Handout 6.
2011 Handout 6 - Five Contemplations of the Sufferings of Encountering what is Unpleasant, cont. 3-5. Five Contemplations of the Sufferings of Separation from what is Pleasant. Suffering of Not Getting What We Want. Five Contemplations of the Sufferings of Having the Five Aggregates - 1-3, (cont. in Handout 7.)
Class 4 NOTES - rough draft transcript - offered for what they are worth. (If you are interested in assisting in proofing/editing, contact Ven. Tenzin Nordron.)
FALL 2011 PDFs re: Truth of Suffering are HERE.
DOWNLOAD MP3 TRACKS:
Track 1 - Discussion: Implications of third type of Birth, "from moisture", etc.
Track 2 - Discussion: How a Cause of Production is also Cause of its Effect's Destruction.
- Presentation of Impermanence, Cause & Effect.
Sufferings of SICKNESS [Handout 4 - p. 2] - Five contemplations:
- Sickness changes the nature of the body [cont. on Handout 5].
- Pain & anguish increase and are seldom absent.
- No desire to enjoy pleasing objects.
- Forced to recourse to unpleasant objects, even though one does not want them.
- Lose one's vital energy, i.e., one dies.
- Objects of Enjoyment,
- Close relatives,
- Companions, and
- beloved Body. Also:
- At the time of death one experiences terrible suffering and distress.
- Encountering an Enemy.
- Fearing one will be Harmed by one's Enemy.
- [Handout 6] Fearing one's Enemy will Spread Malicious Rumors about Oneself.
- Dreading death.
- Fearing Rebirth in suffering existence due to one's non-Dharmic activities. Also misc. sufferings from poverty, disagreeable jobs, being resented, unattractive, etc.
- Verbally Laments;
- Harms one's own body;
- Becomes sad when one remembers and yearns for the qualities of the departed; and generally experiences
- Suffering of no longer enjoying what one has lost.
This is the 4th class of the Fall 2011 Perfection of Wisdom course
addressing the Four Noble Truths, the 2nd sub-topic of the 2nd Topic
(Mahayana Practice Instructions) of Chapter 1 of Maitreya's
Ornament for Clear Realizations - Abhisamayalamkara.