2012 Fall Handout 3
2012 Fall Handout 4
2012 Fall Handout 5
2012 Fall Handout 6
Track 1 - REVIEW: How to train in the Perfection of Diligence (Joyous Effort) - HANDOUT 3
Nature of Joyous Effort - [HANDOUT 4, Class 3,Tracks 2 & 3]
- Using Delusions on the Path: Attachment & Ignorance
- Eliminate obstacles by:
- identifying incompatible factors
- methods to eliminate such.
- Mindfulness of Death
- Contemplate Faults of Transient Satisfactions vs. attaining Lasting Happiness
Track 3 - Three Ways to Stop Laziness of Discouragement & Self-Contempt during Practice:
- Stopping Discouragement about the Goal:
- All Beings Will Become Buddhas – [HANDOUT 5]
Track 4 - 2. Stopping discouragement about (seemingly) onerous work required to attain Goal.
- To Counter Laziness, Develop Understanding of:
- Impermanence (as Mind Changes, Capacities can Expand) &
- Emptiness - brief explanation of contemplations
3. Stopping Discouragement with Difficulties of Samsara (Cyclic Existence)
- To Counter Laziness, Remember:
- Wherever you are is the place to practice - all you need is your mental consciousness.
- We're not going to find the "perfect place" to practice in Samsara but can always find excuses not to practice.
- Since Samsara is not inherently existent, beings have different subjective experiences of Samsara.
NOTES of Class 4 (Sept 24) rough draft transcript of class offered for what it's worth.
This is the 4TH class of the Fall 2012 term Perfection of Wisdom course
which addresses Diligence (Joyous Effort), the 4th-10th sub-topics of the 2nd Topic (Mahayana Practice Instructions) of Chapter 1 of Maitreya's
Ornament for Clear Realizations - Abhisamayalamkara.