2012 Fall Handout 4
2012 Fall Handout 5
2012 Fall Handout 6
2012 Fall Handout 7
ALL FALL 2012 PDF Handouts are HERE.
Track 1 - Review Class 4 - TRACKS 2 & 3, HANDOUTS 4 & 5.
Employing Methods to Overcome Three Obstacles to Diligent Buddhist Practice:
- Stopping the Laziness of Procrastination by thinking about death and that we may die very soon.
- Stopping (or Reducing) the Laziness of Attachment to Negative Activities by reflecting on the infallibility of Karmic Law in this and future lives.
- Stopping the Laziness of Self-Contempt or Discouragement:
- Mental Consciousness is Buddhism's Creator
(3) Stop Discouragement Because Wherever You Are Is A Place To Practice [HANDOUT 5]
- What is Samsara?
- Nature of Samsaric Reality - Subjective Reflection of Mind not Objective [HANDOUT 6]
- No External Reality
Track 3 - Generate Motivation to be in Samsara for the Benefit of Others:
- Cherishing Others Reduces Personal Suffering
- Working for Bodhisattva Goal (Happiness for Others) is a Stairway to Joy & Happiness
- Benefits of Practicing in a Degenerate Age
- Four Immeasurable Phenomena: Time, Sentient Beings, Highest Realizations of the goal, and Wholesome Actions. i.e., No need to hurry and be impatient.
- Impatient quest for quick Enlightenment is Motivated by Self-Centered egoism. [HANDOUT 7]
- Studying Dharma provides antidotes to discouragement about time and effort required to attain Enlightenment.
Track 5 - Q&A
Q If the world is subjective, why isn't anger as limitless as love?
Q What about getting frustration when trying to discipline children out of loving concern for them?
Q Is love a special endeavor/action? What is difference between Buddhist definition of love and compassion?
NOTES of Class 5 (Sept 26) rough draft transcript of class offered for what it's worth.
This is the 5TH class of the Fall 2012 term Perfection of Wisdom course
which addresses Diligence (Joyous Effort), the 4th-10th sub-topics of the 2nd Topic (Mahayana Practice Instructions) of Chapter 1 of Maitreya's
Ornament for Clear Realizations - Abhisamayalamkara.