2012 Fall Handout 7
ALL FALL 2012 PDF Handouts are HERE.
Track 1 - Review Je Tsong Khapa's Lam Rim Chen-mo material on Diligence/Joyous Effort presented in Classes 2-5.
Track 2 - Background to Debate & Study at IBD & Geluk Monastic Universities:
- Buddha’s Teachings & Indian Commentaries
- Geluk Tradition of Tibetan Buddhist Scholarship & Studies:
- Approach to Study: Deep Understanding rather than learning Vast collection of information.
- Brief History of Geluk Studies & Debate
- Panchen Sonam Drakpa – Textbook author for IBD, Drepung Loseling & Gaden Shartse Monastic Colleges and several Nunneries.
- Non-Weariness, and
- Thoroughly Upholding the Mahayana Path.
Track 4 - Gyaltsab Je’s Outline/Commentary on Maitreya & Haribhadra's presentations of the Three Diligence:
- Manifest Discordant Factors
- Manifest & Dormant Anger
- Eliminating Manifest Anger (with Patience) versus Eliminating Anger’s Seeds
- Instructions on the Causes for Non-Degeneration of One's Practice re Diligence of Non-Adherence
- The Three Doors
- Reflections on Emptiness to Curb Attachment.
Track 5 - Diligence of Non-Adherence per Haribhadra and Gyaltsab-Je’s Commentaries:
- Practitioners of Weak Faculty or Strong Faculty vis-a-vis Understanding Emptiness.
- Clarifying relationship of conceptual realization of Emptiness and entry into and advancement on the Five Mahayana Paths.
- Distinguishing healthy loving attachment and clinging attachment.
- What precisely does 'happiness of the body' mean.
- Is Emptiness, which has negative connotations (empty box or feelings of depression) a good translation to mean the lack of inherent existence?
- Limitless love versus limited anger, etc.
NOTES of Class 6 (Sept 28) rough draft transcript of class offered for what it's worth.
This is the 6TH class of the Fall 2012 term Perfection of Wisdom course
which addresses Diligence (Joyous Effort), the 4th-10th sub-topics of the 2nd Topic (Mahayana Practice Instructions) of Chapter 1 of Maitreya's
Ornament for Clear Realizations - Abhisamayalamkara.