2012 Handout 6 - complete Review of first two (of 10) Sub-Topics of the 2nd Topic of Chapter 1 (the Mahayana Practice Instructions): the Two Truths & Four Noble Truths. Introduction to Spring 2012 topic, 3rd Sub-Topic of Practice Instructions: THREE OBJECTS of REFUGE. Causal & Resultant Three Jewels. Causes for Taking Refuge. Three Types of Persons / Goals.
2012 Handout 7 – (cont.) Persons of Small Spiritual Scope. Persons of Intermediate & Persons of Great Spiritual Scope. REASONS WHY THE BUDDHA IS WORTHY TO BE A REFUGE: The Buddhas (4 Reasons stated by Asanga). WAYS TO TAKE REFUGE - Four Aspects of Taking Refuge (stated by Asanga): by knowing the good qualities of the three Jewels): List of Four good qualities of the Buddha.
Track 1: Studies and the Joy of Faith
- Inseparability of Buddha’s Body, Speech and Mind:
- Meaning of Inseparable:
- Phenomena that are not one — that are different — but that are of one nature (ངོ་བོ་དབྱེར་མེད་).
- Inherently Existent Phenomena must be either completely One or Separate
- Merely Imputed Phenomena may be of One Nature (neither totally separate nor totally identical)
- What distinguishes phenomena as Separate, of One Nature, or Identical?
- Phenomena can be Identical (one) or Equivalent but not Identical.
- Body, Speech and Mind of a Buddha are not Identical but are of One Nature.
Buddha Jewel, Dharma Jewel & Sangha Jewel
Track 3 - Causal Three Jewels & Resultant Three Jewels:
- Resultant Three Jewels
- Causes For Taking Refuge
- Three Types of Persons with Three different Goals take Refuge:
- First Scope Practitioners aim: Highest Worldly Goal - All Future Lives in Higher Realms. [Handout 7]
- Three Causal Refuges & Three Resultant Refuges of First Scope Practitioners
- Debates: Do First Scope Practitioners’ Have Resultant Refuges?
- Forced Rebirth (from power of karma & delusions) in Lower Realms is an Object of Abandonment on the Path of Seeing
Distinguishing ordinary Fear and the Fear of Fear & Faith (Two causes for taking Refuge).
Clarification re Truths of Path & Truths of Cessation as Dharma Jewels.
NOTES of Class 4 (April 16) - rough draft transcript of class offered for what it's worth.
This is the 4th class of the Spring 2012 term Perfection of Wisdom course
which addresses Refuge, the 3rd sub-topic of the 2nd Topic
(Mahayana Practice Instructions) of Chapter 1 of Maitreya's
Ornament for Clear Realizations - Abhisamayalamkara.