Handout 10 (rev. 05/03/12) - Asanga’s Four Aspects of Taking Refuge by, #2 - Knowing the distinctions (of the three Jewels) based on, cont.: (e) Recollection; (f) How to Increase Merit. #3 - Through Commitment. #4 - Refusing to acknowledge other refuges. Introduction to IBD’s texts by Panchen Sonam Drakpa: General Meaning (སྤྱི་དོན།) and debate manual, Decisive Analysis (མཐའ་དཔྱོད།). General Meaning: 5 Topics explain Three Refuge Objects. #1 - Three- fold explanation of Necessity for Scriptures' presentation of Three Refuge Objects: (i) Buddha Jewel; (ii) Dharma Jewel.
Handout 11 - General Meaning's 5 Topics that explain Three Refuge Objects, cont.: #1 - (iii) Necessity for Scriptural presentation of Sangha Refuge Object. Causal & Refuge Objects for Bodhisattvas, Hearers & Solitary Realizers (chart). #2 - Identifying the nature (i.e., meaning) of the three objects of refuge (in two ways): Nature (i.e., meaning) of the three Jewels according to a) Hearer Tenets (Vaibashika & Sautantrika Tenets) [i.e., Buddha & Sangha (as persons) are not Refuge Jewels; Buddha & Sangha Jewels are aspects of the Dharma].
Track 1 - Common Loci between the Three Jewels & Four Noble Truths, Explanation of Common Locus (i.e., something that is both) between any Object of Refuge and any of the Four Noble Truths:
- Truth of Suffering
- Sangha Jewel
- Truth of Origin
- Nothing that is both.
- Truth of Cessation
- Buddha Jewel (Svabhāvikakāya)
- Dharma Jewel
- Truth of Path
- Buddha Jewel (i.e., Omniscient Mind & Path of No More Learning)
- Dharma Jewel
- How does “Mahayana Practice” (explained by way of 10 Practice Instructions): “possess as its basis the three objects of refuge”?
Three-fold explanation of Necessity for Scriptures' presentation of Three Refuge Objects: Buddha Jewel; Dharma Jewel.
(i) Reasons the Buddha Jewel is Necessary Object of Refuge. All Three Jewels are:
- Causal Objects of Refuge for all Buddhist practitioners;
- Not the primary Resultant Objects of Refuge for all Buddhist practitioners.
- Six Types of Buddhist Practitioners:
- Three types are persons who have already entered the Path of Accumulation of one of the Three Vehicles (Hearer, Solitary Realizer or Bodhisattva).
- Three types are persons who have not yet entered the Path of Accumulation of one of the Three Vehicles but possess either:
- Mahayana potential/inclination;
- Hearer potential/inclination; or
- Solitary Realizer potential/inclination.
- Those who have potential/inclination for one of the Three Vehicles are those Buddhist practitioners who have not entered the Path of Accumulation but have (Mahayana/Hearer or Solitary) inclination.
(iii) Reasons the Sangha Jewel is Necessary Object of Refuge. [Handout 11]
Introduction to assertions regarding the Three Jewels: Hearer Tenets - ཉན་ཐོས་སྟེ་པ་ (Vaibhāṣika / Great Exposition - བྱེ་བྲག་སྨྲ་བ་ - & Sautrāntika / Sutra school - མདོ་སྡེ་པ་) .
- Distinction: Hearers are not necessarily Hearer Tenets Holders.
- Buddha & Buddha Jewel and Sangha & Sangha Jewel are different per Vaibhāṣika & Sautrāntika tenets.
This is the 9th class of the Spring 2012 term Perfection of Wisdom course
which addresses Refuge, the 3rd sub-topic of the 2nd Topic
(Mahayana Practice Instructions) of Chapter 1 of Maitreya's
Ornament for Clear Realizations - Abhisamayalamkara.