DOWNLOAD Handouts referred to in Class (Handouts are based on Je Tsong Khapa's Illumination of the Thought):
2011 Handout 22 (June 24) - Chandrakirti re Two Truths, cont. (Mistaken / Wrong Consciousness distinguished), etc.
2011 Handout 23 (June 27) - Explaining from Whose Perspective the Conventional Is a Truth and Is Not a Truth.
Chart 6 - GRADUAL PROCESS of ELIMINATING IGNORANCE in DEPENDENCE on: HINAYANA PATHS & MAHAYANA PATHS.
ALL SPRING 2011 HANDOUTS & CHARTS are HERE.
DOWNLOAD MP3 TRACKS:
Track 1 - Review Two Truths subject matter. Complete p. 2 of Handout 22. The Mind, Awareness:
- Mind is one of the things we know the least, yet is the most powerful force in our life. Our ignorance about how our Mind works causes our problems. So learn to be 'aware' of operation of six consciousnesses in daily life. Levels of consciousness.
- Although aware of the table coarsely, shape and color, we're not aware of subtler facts of table - example of how our ignorance harms us. Eye Consciousnesses, being clear and knowing, are not limited to just shapes and colors, e.g., Buddha's Eye Consciousnesses can perceive everything.
- Differentiate actively mistaken ignorance with respect to its object of engagement; and Ignorance that is not a wrong consciousness with respect to its main object yet is still mistaken with respect to the object of appearance (of inherent existence of object).
- All phenomena are Dependently Arisen and do not stand on their own, independently. But impermanent phenomena manifest all three types of dependent arising on:
- Causes and conditions, Parts & Mental Imputation.
- Explanatory analysis of meaning of syllogism re lack of inherent existence of production, i.e., the Emptiness of action (rather than of nouns/objects).
- Root Syllogism:
"The subject, a sprout, it is not inherently produced because (1) of not being produced by itself, (2) not being produced by inherently existing other (causes), (3) not being produced by both (by itself and inherently existent other causes) and (4) not being produced causelessly."
- "Dispelling Wrong Views" re root syllogism.
- Complete explanation of Handout 22, p. 2.
- Introduction to Chart 6 - GRADUAL PROCESS of ELIMINATING IGNORANCE in DEPENDENCE on: HINAYANA PATHS & MAHAYANA PATHS.
This is the 13th class of the Spring 2011 Perfection of Wisdom course addressing the Two Truths, the 1st sub-topic of the 2nd Topic (Mahayana Practice Instructions) of Chapter 1 of Maitreya's
Ornament for Clear Realizations - Abhisamayalamkara.